What is Paint the Peninsula?
Paint the Peninsula is a juried plein air competition beginning its fourth year. The event will be held in Port Angeles, Washington, gateway to Olympic National Park August 21 through 28, 2016. Port Angeles and its surrounding areas include Olympic National Park and have everything to offer a plein air artist from sweeping vistas and soaring mountains to vintage working farms, intimate woods and expansive ocean views. The event is being hosted by and for the benefit of the Port Angeles Fine Arts Center (PAFAC.) PAFAC Foundation is a non-profit organization which supports the arts in hosting gallery shows and community art events throughout the year. The PAFAC gallery is located in Webster’s Woods, a five acre woodland area where over 100 sculptures and other works of art live in and peek out from the abundant foliage.
General Rules and Guidelines
- Orientation and stamping of substrates are mandatory. No artwork will be accepted for hanging in the event unless the event stamp is visible on the back of the substrate, or front in the case of watercolor artists.
- Pastel painters’ paper should be suitably mounted on board or foam core in order to allow for stamping and visibility of a stamp from the back of the frame.
- All work must be framed and wire strung. Saw tooth picture hangers are not acceptable.
- A 40% commission for PAFAC will be taken on all work.
- There is a minimum price of $300 for all work. No work may be priced under $300.
- Attendance at the community reception on August 27 is mandatory.
- All artists must participate in the Quick Draw.
- If paintings are sold privately during the competition they will also be subject to the 40% commission.
$12,000 in Awards
D.A. Davidson Best in Show: $2500
Artist's Choice: $1500
Poster Award: $1000
Best landscape: $1000
Best Waterscape: $1000
Best Architectural: $1000
Best Sails, Motors & Wheels!: $1000
Best Nocturne: $1000
Spirit of the peninsula Award!: $1000
Plus numerous Purchase and Sponsor Awards
The Schedule of Events is now available, click here
Every effort will be made to supply host housing in exchange for a small painting of the artist’s choice. Some housing may be available at a reduced rate at local motels. Other available housing can be found at www.business.portangeles.org/lists/ql/lodging-travel-I5. Artists wishing to apply for host housing should make their request known upon submission of the Agreement to Participate. Host housing is available on a first come first served basis and is only for participating artists. Artists who bring family members may not be able to be accommodated by a host.